Saturday, August 15, 2009

Icarus

Gilded Wings


The heavens hang
a laundry line of clouds
as far as the eye can see,
where placid waters
meet the sky.
The gentle tumble of breakers,
languid whispers
like velvet…
a soft caress
upon my ears
reminding me
of long ago.

Summer days that stretched
like bent and broken limbs,
reaching across
gray linen fields
for the temporal sun,
forever beckoning
with its white hot light.

But my dreams
dissolved….
I was not unlike Icarus
in his doomed attempt
to fly….
I hovered
ever closer
to your heart
of radiant beams.
I too, have melted,
like those gilded wings,
imperfect, wilting.

Perhaps it was my destiny
to melt, to dissolve
in a puddle of wax at your feet,
a fallen angel who veered
from her righteous path
on the way
to eternity.

Colleen M. Breuning © 2009
August 1, 2009

2 comments:

  1. Colleen, you never cease to amaze me with your words. This is excellent and the imagery blew me away. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice poem, and i wind up remembering you melting at the feet of the unknown Icarus type.
    I'll make you a friend to follow if you go to my blogsite and check out some of my poems. It's been a while since you blogged. Why don't you do more for people like me?

    ReplyDelete